If these hands could speak what would they say..
..my Nan grew up in Baghdad, Iraq as a Christian. Fleeing persecution by Saddam, her family made their way to Australia. The older I get the more I cherish my heritage and want to preserve as many things from my grandparents as possible.. Last week I stood in my kitchen and documented my grandma making Assyrian Biryani.
As kids (and maybe adults) we made jokes about how, for our entire lives, we always ate the same 5 dishes when Nan cooked but you know what.. I am desperately trying to learn how to make those dishes so that when she passes on I can tell my girls that their grandma stood in a kitchen in Iraq and made this.. it’s something that will be with the women of this family for future generations.
Serves 4 people
4 thigh fillets
1/2 kg of gravy beef or beef fillet
120g Slivered Almonds
2 cups of basmati rice
2 large white potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
2 white onions, chopped finely
2 cubes of powder chicken stock
2 tsp Turmeric
2 tsp Biryani Spice
2 tsp curry powder
Salt and pepper
..cook the Rice
- Soak the rice in cold water for 20 minutes. Wash the rice and drain.
- Heat a pot with olive oil (enough to fill the bottom) on medium heat, add chicken stock, turmeric, biryani spice and curry powder to the pot, stir to combine.
- Add 3 cups of water and bring to the boil. Once boiling add the rice, cover and cook until water is absorbed. Reduce heat to simmer, stirring occasionally until rice is cooked.
..cook the Chicken
- Place the thigh fillets in a pot on medium heat. When the juices of the chicken are gone place ½ cup of water into the pot, when the water is gone add another ½ cup of water etc until the chicken is cooked.
- Cut the chicken thighs into small pieces and place in a bowl.
..cook the Beef
- Place the beef in a pot on medium heat with a sprinkle of salt. When the juices of the beef are gone place ½ cup of water into the pot, when the water is gone add another ½ cup of water etc until the beef is cooked.
- Cut the beef into small pieces and place into a bowl.
..cook the Potatoes
- Wash the potatoes in cold water and drain well. Place on a paper towel and pat dry.
- Place enough vegetable oil in a pan to reach halfway up the potatoes and fry the potatoes on high heat until golden. Drain on absorbent paper. Once golden place the potatoes on top of the chicken pieces.
- Divide the oil from the potatoes into two seperate bowls.
..cook the Almonds
- Place the almonds into a pan with half the oil from the potatoes on medium heat and cook till golden.
..finish the Beef
- Place the other half of the potato oil into a deep pan- add the cooked beef and chopped onions. Fry on medium heat until the onions are softened. Set aside
- Combine everything except the almonds in a pot and stir to combine. Once heated serve warm sprinkled with almonds