Well friends, Ava is 18 weeks old.. I feel like I deserve a high-five for keeping a baby alive for 18 weeks! While it hasn’t necessarily been difficult it is a HUGE life change. The older she gets the HUGE-ER (is that even a word) the change gets!!
She’s still sleeping through the night (thankfully), but her naps during the day are becoming significantly shorter. She has steam rolled with discovering things:
- her hair (she reaches behind her head and rubs and grabs her hair..haha)
- her fingers (they are constantly in her mouth..we think she’s starting to teethe)
- her voice (she screams excitedly all the time! She is also laughing so much)
Ava experienced her first Christmas this year- she slept through the opening of presents on Christmas Eve and the entire Christmas Service at church.. #nailedit
We did manage to get some photos before the service though..
She made out with a few toys and some books and was highly stimulated for 3 days by the overbearing love from her cousin. We can’t wait till next year when she can actually feel some of the same excitement we do!
I took some photos of her the week before Christmas just incase we didn’t get any on the actual day..
We visited the huge Christmas tree in the Queen Victoria Building.. definitely a must if you have little ones!! (Picture below of Ava with her Oma)
We braved downtown Sydney for the Christmas Tree.. along with half of Sydney..so Greg ended up taking her in the carrier at the end.. it was so cute!!
Overall everything has been going great with Ava! She had her 4 month shots today and screamed the house down. It was so so sad to watch. It’s a public holiday here in Sydney so Greg was able to hold her for her shots.. I still cried like a baby (even though I stepped out of the room).
She had her first try of rice cereal yesterday!!! She seemed to enjoy it.. I didn’t exactly know what to do so I made up the recommended amount on the box.. 2.5TBSP of rice cereal to 90ml of water.. yeah.. way to much.. I need to research a recipe that makes half of that.. We gave her half of the rice cereal followed by a 90ml bottle. She slept fine so I think we got a thumbs up on that! (on a side note.. she kept trying to help me put the spoon in her mouth..so I ended up grabbing another spoon for her to play with while I kept using the one I had to feed her)
Well, this weekend she’s going to be taking the 5th flight of her short 4 month life- we can’t wait for her to meet some of our extended “family” members!!
P.S. I have a great Lamb Recipe coming to you tomorrow.. followed by a great Raw Banoffee Pie recipe on Thursday!! Trust me..these are two good ones!!!
Here we are- Ava is 2 months old! We are already seeing so much of a difference with the way she looks and the things she is discovering!
Things she has discovered over the past 4 weeks:
- Her hands and fingers! Her fingers end up in her mouth a lot!
- Her non-audible laugh! Ava looks like she’s laughing but there’s no sound yet!
- Her voice! I am sure she screamed in frustration today..uh oh..
Things she is outgrowing:
- Her clothes! She’s gone up 2 sizes since birth!
- Her sleeping bags! She’ll outgrow the last one I have in about 500grams!
- Her bassinet! She is almost too long for bassinet, so the transition to the cot will be soon!
- Her capsule pram. We’ve switched over to the normal pram seat, from the capsule (tear)..
Things we’re thankful for:
- Her sleeping and eating patterns! Ava has been sleeping through the night since a few weeks after coming home from hospital!
- The fact that she’s getting bigger! I have so many cute dresses for her as she gets bigger!!
- Her beautiful blue eyes that haven’t changed colour yet! We’re hoping they stay blue!
We are 7 weeks into this parenting experience! I don’t think you can even call it ‘parenting’ at this age? More like, 7 weeks into the new job role of bottle feeder, burper and high-pitched laughs.
Ava is growing and developing well- we had her 6 week shots last week which were terrible, but she was fine after the initial jab (my poor baby).. yes, I was a blubbering mess.. She’s consistently sleeping through the night, waking only once to feed- we’re on a pretty good routine at the moment. The only problem with this routine is that she eats when we eat.. will I ever have a hot meal again?! I made a list a few days ago of all the things I haven’t done since the birth of Ava (the list is pretty comical!!):
- Had a shower lasting longer than 15min
- Eaten toast (at breakfast) while it was still hot..scratch that..eaten any meal while it’s still hot
- Drank a full cup of coffee at breakfast while it’s still hot
- Drank ANY beverage at breakfast and finished it while it was still hot
- Gone on a date with my husband.. unless church music practice counts?? HA.. (we are ticking this off the list tonight..)
- Left the house in less than 5min
- Only done one load of washing a week… Who knew something so small could create SO MUCH LAUNDRY
- Picked something to wear in less than 2 min- now it goes through the if-spit-up-was-to-fall-on-this-item-would-it-stain test..
Raising Ava has been nothing but joy..despite all the challenges new mums face! Some days I find myself worried that I am failing – am i under stimulating her, am I not talking to her enough, is she too hot or too cold, am I going to make her sick (I’ve been battling the flu for a week), does she need more Vitamin D (she is PALE folks), what milestones should she be hitting at this age.. if she hitting them?! So many what ifs and questions.. they don’t give you a manual when you have a baby.. I wouldn’t mind a how-to on ‘raising a functioning, caring and loving child’- the tagline could be: ways to not stunt their growth or crush their dreams.. It would cover everything from birth to say 14ish (after 14 your on you own…ha.. I can’t help you there..even I turned feral around this age)
I found this quote the other day which perfectly reflects the need I have for God to be involved daily in this new season of my life..
I can imagine that as Ava gets older the ‘load’ of motherhood will sometimes get heavy and complicated – but I truly believe I need just as much of God today that I will in 10 years time.
Below are some photos of my angel baby.. By no means am I a professional photographer however I have a pretty good Nikon camera which I’ve tried to work out myself..